Sunday, January 12, 2014

Ta Da! The pictures I promised you...

Okay. My last post was about using unused throws as upcycled scarves and pillow covers / seat cushions.  

Without further ado I present to you the results of thrashing my throws!
         
 The scarf came out awesome!  It doubles as the perfect shawl to wrap around my shoulders.  
You know you created something well when it receives compliments. It feels pretty good to respond with a "thank you. I made it ".  Even better, though, is the shocked faces upon my response.  

I love the edges on this scarf. I tried to capture it best I could (picture to the right). The edges are frayed white.  I love that there are no stitches showing.  Another plus when using blankets for upcycled items.








Man, I LOVE these chenille pillow cases.  They are SOOOO soft! I have an eclectic taste in patterns, but I dig the country plaid/classic neutral color combo.  The texture is perfect for winter decorating, not to mention for cuddling when watching a movie. (I'm a big time pillow hugger -   hopefully I'm not the only one...)

Chenille is delicate because you can't pull it too much while sewing and if you make too many holes it can shred.  I had to be very careful but it came out great.  The edges came out better than expected, virtually seamless.































There ya have it! A new scarf and pillow cases without leaving my home or spending additional money.  I handsew everything I make because I am still very much afraid of my sewing machine (it eats all the fabric I put in ). Yes, I know the tension must be adjusted and so on and so forth.  But, one thing I don't have much of is patience, and it is easier for me to hand sew even though it takes far longer.


The pillow cases will soon be available in my Etsy shop A Dash of Effort. I'll post a link on my blog soon.  I have some final touches on listings and products, and then I'll be open for business!

I am contemplating a give away for one of my scarves ( I made two).
 

Thanks for reading, feed back appreciated, and I'll write ya later!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to know your ideas for re-purposing household items!
Share your ideas here or ask any question you may have about the posts.

Thanks for taking time to view my blog!