Thursday, January 2, 2014

Throws or . . .

As you may have noticed from my previous post my living space is minimal.

For that reason, I do not like decorating my apartment with knick knacks and other housewares that only take up space.  Instead I opt for useful and tasteful items for decor.  

My solution for utility with charm:  throws!

Purchased at Walmart wayyy back, I fell in love with these two throws: (they are "throw backs"!...pun intended...)
Chenille!
Hemmingbone!


Since moving into my apartment in November 2012, their only uses have been to satiate my dog's anxious chewing habits :( (sorry, chenille and hemmingbone )

True to the theme of this blog is my knack of turning idle items in to newly found treasures, and I knew just what to do with these two throws...

Make scarves, seat cushions, and pillow covers, of course:)

Step 1:  Find pretty blanket/throw/sweatshirt/towel/etc. to destroy.

Check.

Step 2: Measure and cut to your liking. 

 
Check.

I cut the chenille by wrapping it around my pillow form to estimate an approximate seat cushion size.  Then, I cut along the folds and sewed the seams together.


The hemmingbone was easiest.  I folded the blanket lengthwise multiple times and cut along the folds for a few scarves!




Step 3: Use again and again and again....until you have another idea....

Check.

I'm obsessed with my new hemmingbone scarf! Blankets make perfect neck warmers:) Bonus: It receives tons of compliments!

Pictures of finished products will be posted soon!

Hope this inspires you to save a mall trip (or two)  and re-purpose what you already have around the house. 

What have you reinvented lately?



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to know your ideas for re-purposing household items!
Share your ideas here or ask any question you may have about the posts.

Thanks for taking time to view my blog!