Monday, February 17, 2014

Repurposing = Fair Trade Everything

I recently saw the movie Blood Diamond.  The movie shows unrest in Africa as a result of the diamond industry.  While watching I was reminded of the corruption of consumerism.  Just about every item imaginable is created using means of slavery and child labor.  Beyond self-sufficiency, the reason I am adamant  about reusing items, consignment store shopping and DIY stuff, is to take a stand against slavery.  

While we can't control government policies or national politics, we can control how we spend our money.  I really try to limit it  to fair trade goods (goods using production methods providing fair treatment, wages, and working conditions to laborers).  After a while it becomes rather easy to find substitutes for everyday items.  I still have so many purchasing preferences to change.  For example, I have to find fair trade alternatives for cocoa powder, sugar, and coffee.  If we stop demanding, they will need to stop supplying.  Little by little, we can make a significant change.

It's so crazy to think how our actions influence the world.  I try not to buy anything made in China and I avoid mall and retail stores so I am not giving corporations a direct sale.  Although Consignment stores do sell second hand clothing manufactured by corporations not practicing fair trade, the profits do not at all aid them in their operations, which is why I think consignment stores are a better bet.  I hope to make my own sheets and clothing one day to further promote awareness and options for fair trade goods that everyday people can afford. That also happens to be the inspiration behind my store on Etsy.

Not only does it save money, but re-purposing helps me be content with what I have and not be greedy. As a result, I am more fulfilled, more aware, and more productive with my money and time.  

Not For Sale is an awesome campaign educating how our money fuels slavery and how we can stop it.  The organization's self titled book is an easy read and taught me so much. Buy it here.


Also check out this list of products of slave abuse from the Department of Labor.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to know your ideas for re-purposing household items!
Share your ideas here or ask any question you may have about the posts.

Thanks for taking time to view my blog!